Southampton Pet Rules
Southampton Pet Rules
To Report A Lost Pet Call 631-702-2915
Rules & Regulations
- Dogs and other pets must be under your supervision and control whenever they are off your property.
- Your pets may not disturb your neighbors by noise or odor, or become a nuisance by urinating or defecating on your neighbor’s property.
- Your pets my not chase or harass anyone.
- In New York State, all dogs over the age of 4 months must be licensed. It’s the law!
- Dogs require a rabies vaccination before they can be licensed. The dog’s license is only valid until the rabies vaccination expires. License your dog as soon as it receives the vaccination.
- Cats do not need to be licensed, but they are required to be vaccinated against rabies. Other pets, domestic animals and farm animals may ned to have a rabies vaccination as well. Discuss this with your veterinarian.
- It’s never a good idea to keep your dog outside, but if you do, New York State law requires that you provide shelter, food, and water appropriate for the dog’s breed, age, and health.
- For rules about beached and parks, click here for our “Doggie Dos and Don’ts On Southampton Town Beaches & Parks.”
Other Helpful Tips
- Make sure your pets are all spayed or neutered. Spayed and neutered pets live longer, healthier lives with less behavioral problems. If you need assistance spaying or neutering your pets, the Southampton Animal Shelter offers low-cost spay/neuter clinics. Call 631-728-PETS ext. 226 for information or to make an appointment.
- All pets can benefit from regular visits to your veterinarian.
- Make sure your pets always have identification on them in case they get lost. Better yet, consider having your pet microchipped, which provides permanent identification your pet will never be without.
- Include your pet in your emergency plans in case you must evacuate your home quickly in an emergency or disaster. Add pet food and other important pet supplies and medications to the emergency kit you make for your family. Click here for our “Disaster Planning Shopping List for Pets“.
Dog Licenses Purchase Locations
Southampton Town Clerk’s Office
Southampton Town Hall
116 Hampton Road
Southampton, NY 11968
Southampton Town Clerk’s Annex
25 Ponquogue Avenue
Hampton Bays, NY 11946
For more information or if you have any questions, please call 631-702-2915